Now that fall has finally caught up with me, I'm ready to prepare for Halloween! This year my mom is taking care of my little bug's costume so I have time to make other decorations. With a bit of orange fleece and some scraps of green crushed velvet, I sewed my first pumpkin.
For this project you will need
- 1/4 yard of orange fleece or felt
- Stuffing material
- Thread and needle
- A sewing machine that doesn't cringe about thick fabric (my old Singer would have been a bad candidate but my faithful Pfaff just went along with it.
- Cut 6 ( roughly 7 inch long by 2 wide) wedges of the orange fleece/felt
- Fold in half lengthwise and stitch a 2 inch pintuck on both ends
- This will define the shape of the pumpkin i.e flatten the top and bottom
- This is how it look from the wrong side (Left) and the right side
- Sew 2 wedges together wrong side togethers (i.e. pinktucks outside)
- Add a third wedge - You have now a half pumpkin
- Sew the second half pumpkin then attach the two halves on one edge
- Cut a piece 2x 4 inch piece of green fleece/felt (I'm still stashbusting so since I didn't have any and couldn't acquire some I went with what I had at hand...)
- Fold in half and attach to the top of your pumkin
- Stitch the last seams with the pumpkin inside out leaving a 2 inch opening
- Turn the pumpkin right side out and stuff it
- Stitch the opening
- Stitch some ridges to the stem
- Optional : add a leaf to your stem
Et voila !