Have you ever noticed most of the tissue box covers you find at those home decoration store are meant for the small square tissue boxes? And how expensive they are! We are a heavy duty house in this department between little runny noses and allergies.
I know you can find some pretty(ish) tissue boxes in larger format but this doesn't quite do it for me. So to start my stashbusting challenge and make something useful and pretty for my house, I decided to make a few fabric tissue box covers.
This project was also featured @
For this project you will need:
- Fabric scraps - It takes less than 1/4 yard
- 1 short piece of coordinating bias tape
- Matching thread
- Elastic band
- Sewing machine
- Measuring tape
- Tissue box of your brand of choice for measurements and fitting
- Cut a piece for fabric using your tissue box for size and leaving 1/4 inch for sewing allowance
- Cut or piece a strip of fabric measuring the height of your box + 1 /12 inch by the perimeter of your box + 1/2 inch
Mark a circle in the center of the fabric for the top (I used a soda can)
Cut the circle out and apply coordinating bias tape to finish the edge
- Sew together the short edges of the strip of fabric for the sides (1/4 inch allowance)
- Sew the top piece with the edge piece (1/4 inch allowance)
- Rotate the fabric 90 degrees at each corner and re-align the top piece and edge piece after each quarter turn.
- Fold over and stitch the bottom edge an run the elastic band in the channel
Of course I'm going to need more than one.
I put together this one with left over from a wall hanging project
I couldn't get myself to cut a hole in this pretty Provence fabric so I ended up piecing in a way that I could leave an open slot on the top to pull the tissues out
Your uncut reasoning makes me smile. Lovely tissue boxes!!ReplyDelete
Those are great!ReplyDelete
really pretty !!!ReplyDelete
I've been already making some more. Some of my work colleagues even ordered a couple to fit their favorite brand of tissues!ReplyDelete
One downside of the design: You can't really tell how much is left in the box. I'll settle for that though.
Thanks for linking up to gettin' crafty on hump day! :)ReplyDelete
How fun and custom. You did a wonderful job. Thanks for linking :).ReplyDelete
Thanks for linking up your idea! I'll be featuring it on my blog tomorrow!ReplyDelete
Cute covers! This would be a great and inexpensive Christmas gift idea!ReplyDelete
a really great stashbusting idea. perfect for using up some of those little fabric pieces that are just taking up space!ReplyDelete
Ha! You've obviously found your sewing niche! I love 'em. They can be made for any sort of season or room. Great idea!ReplyDelete
Thank you for linking up to my Friday link party! See you this Friday, I hope!
Great idea Thanks for linking up to A Crafty Creative Christmas!ReplyDelete
So pretty and funcional. Great idea.ReplyDelete