Recently, I stumbled upon an Etsy store that sells ironing board covers. Looking at those cute covers make me more painfully aware about my ironing board being in great need of a makeover.
OK ... it's eww, not from dirt but from a couple of burn marks and goop from Wonderunder, hem tape and other interfacing oopsies. That doesn't wash off. Paying $15 for an ugly new ironing board cover.... nope, paying $25 for a cute one, I don't think so. So I made one.
I just used the ugly one as a pattern and cut 2 layers of cotton quilt batting and the top fabric to the same size. I then stitched all 3 layers together and then used a left over 3" strip from a quilt binding to make the channel. Then I made a cord out of green bias tape stitched together lengthwise that I threaded through the channel and tada this is the new look :
Not as fancy as those I saw on Etsy, but prettier than a store bought one and a vast improvement over the sad look of the previous cover
Bonus: only took an hour. Oh and it cost under $2.
- Left over cotton batting for padding : $0.50
- Left over green stripped for channel : $1.25
- Donated pink stripped fabric - free
- Donated green bias tape - free
- Donated thread
Oh I so like friend sewer/quilters that de-stash after finishing a project. And I like my ironing board a lot more too.
One last time side by side :
And here it is in action with my latest project
Yes a new quilt is brewing
120 blocks at the ready