Back to yesterday's post... the play tent.
It was a bit bare and since I still could not decide about the quilting thread for this quilt, I had a bit of time on hand. I also had this pillow that begged for a cover.
You will need:
* A pillow (mine is 18x18)
* Fabrics (for the 18" pillow here : 45x19 for the pillow and 2 strips 5x36 for the ruffles)
* Measuring tape
* Sewing machine
- Wrap the fabric around the pillow to fit for size and cut to the correct dimension adding 1" for sewing allowance on both length and width
- Hem the short edge on both ends
- Wrap the fabric around the pillow again and pin the overlap together
- Turn the tube obtained inside out
- Cut the fabric strips for the ruffled edges - for a nice ruffle effect you will need at least 1.5 times the width of the finished pillow. I went for a more ruffled look so 2 x 18 = 36 " by 5" wide
- Fold in half and hem
- Use the longest stitch available on your machine for the ruffling thread and stitch along a second time
- Pull the one of the thread of the loose stitching to ruffle down to the width of the pillow with 1 inch to spare on each end
- Leave the last inch on both ends unruffled
- Pin the ruffle inside the inside out pillow "tube"
- Pull the last inch in for a nice finished effect
- Stitch along both ends
- Turn the pillow case right side out - So pretty!!
This is how the corners look like when you tuck in the ruffle